View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:50 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Up-zoning is one of my most favorite things There's sooo many corners on Broadway that could be redeveloped.

NY Daily News:

Proposal could clear way for tall buildings in northeast Brooklyn
Borough President Eric Adams says the Broadway corridor is ripe for development as Mayor de Blasio prepares to roll out housing plan.

BY DOYLE MURPHY
Thursday, May 1, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
A 4-mile stretch of Broadway could open to developers looking to build tall in exchange for adding affordable housing under a new proposal, the Daily News has learned.

Borough President Eric Adams filed a recommendation last Friday with the City Planning Commission that, if approved, would allow developers to build up to 10 stories along a stretch that includes Bushwick, Williamsburg and Bed-Stuy.

“This is going to be prime real estate,” Adams said. “We can’t create new land, but we do have lots of air rights.”

Spurred by Mayor de Blasio’s forthcoming plan to increase the number of affordable apartments across the city by 200,000, Adams and his staff plan to target neighborhoods that could handle denser populations.

The targeted area would include the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway and Broadway Junction, cutting along Bushwick, Williamsburg, Bedford-Stuyvesant and Ocean Hill.

Adam’s recommendation was tucked into his response to the proposed Henry Apartments, a six-story, mixed-use housing project in Ocean Hill currently under review. The project is scheduled for public hearings on May 7 before the City Planning Commission, which will vote on the issue later.

Adams, who grew up on Gates Ave. near Broadway, envisions complexes designated for a mixture of incomes — 50 percent market rate, 30 middle and 20 low-income — populating neighborhoods scarred by blackouts and riots in the 1970s.

[...]

Adams plans to meet with elected officials, such as Espinal, after the mayor reveals his housing plans.

Adams said he expected some pushback but suspects that most residents will agree on the need for affordable housing.

“I think we’re going to come together and say ‘build, baby, build,” Adams said.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~