View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 2:31 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Volguus, when I suggested converting the bus routes in the city to trolleybus routes, I was explaining a position which I have espoused for some time, and which was originally suggested by someone on Philly Blog (zur). I am aware catenary is expensive, but the position I take is that we could extend catenary over a few (3-5) routes a year in four phases (first centered on Frankford, then on 69th, then Fern Rock, and lastly catching remaining bus routes that don't stop at any of these three places), thereby keeping costs associated with this down.

There are a few reasons I disagree with BRT. 1. The streets in Philadelphia are, by and large, too narrow to support the dedicated bus lanes necessary for BRT, and 2. BRT is still buses, which still emit a number of pollutants that electrified systems do not; as to the complaint this is simply solving a problem in the "out of sight, out of mind" way, I submit that if SEPTA were to power trolleybus catenary with alternative energy credits, like wind power, there would be no fossil fuel consumption whatsoever related with this plan.

Finally, need I remind you that as of 60 years ago, most of the city was blanketed by catenary? Tearing it all down in favor of diesel buses was one of the least wise transit moves of all time.

That said, the large-scale range of BRT, as opposed to the limitations catenary-bases systems like trolleys and trolleybuses, does have its own particular advantages, namely, the ability to connect far-flung suburbs into rail hubs. A BRT route along Sumneytown Pike from Green Lane to Lansdale or North Wales during peak hours would, for example, increase transit connectivity among the more far-flung suburbs; so would a BRT from Yardley to King of Prussia (i.e., transferring the Cross County Metro idea from rail to bus).

You are indeed right that the Regional Rail system is one of the best-connected regional commuter systems in the country, but that doesn't mean there aren't gaps. Only about half of all the routes in the Philadelphia area were ever electrified, and since SEPTA has no diesel commuter rail, it cannot service the other half.

If you are interested in lack of Art Museum connectivity, may I draw your attention to the erstwhile "thunda" and "eldondre" plans on Philly Blog? Eldondre proposes that the PA PATCO extension not be the waterfront light rail, but rather a service up to 33rd and Girard via the City Subway, connecting 1. CCP 2. Art Museum, and 3. Zoo with the greater Philadelphia system (also involving a connection with the BSL).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)