View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
It looks very much like a baseball field with temporary bleachers moved in from right and left fields and a temporary ring mounted near what would have been the pitcher's mound. It looks very much like Washington Park but with smaller, less elaborate covered stands. Plus I think Washington Park's first baseline seats backed up pretty much to the street, not set back as here.

Also I can find no record of Dempsey ever fighting in Los Angeles/Southern California. San Francisco, Emeryville and Oakland but not down here.
I can't personally attest to Dempsey's connection with Saugus and was merely quoting "one" source. However, to be fair, Doerrner's description of the photo has Dempsey "preparing" for a rematch against Tunney, '26. So, to the extent there is any validity to the assertion, this could have been a training camp exhibition.

Considering Dempsey's exhibitions/ personal appearances in Santa Monica http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11062 and Pomona, the Saugus connection may be possible although improbable. Maybe the Hotel Barbara was looking to expand in Ojai . . . but got lost?