View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I know its not a popular opinion on this board, but I agree with this. City of Phoenix is one of the worst cities in the valley in terms of keeping its roads repaired and updated. It feels like they went over 10 years w/o doing so - its taken them forever to repair Cave Creek Rd. The roads instantly improve when crossing from PHX -> Glendale or PHX -> Scottsdale 10x. Most of us drive cars - much fewer of us use the light rail. So I totally get the logic behind it.
Very well said; it's popular with me even though I'm a transit fan.

I posted many months before these decisions were made (but the crowd was gathering) that it was obvious Phoenix had been underfunding their road maintenance and not by a little bit.

They created a nice vision with T2050 but they didn't address the basics which is sad and a wasted opportunity.

Another of my pet peeves is the better return on investment for green and complete streets. Driving around Scottsdale and Chandler neighborhoods recently it's remarkable how far ahead of Phoenix both cities are when it comes to these concepts. It's like two totally different engineering departments from different worlds with different priorities and visions, with Phoenix still rooted in the last century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
So - the extension is not ‘killed’ - its ‘delayed’. You could argue it means the same thing, but from what I’ve read, city council decided to put the money towards the 1.5B they need to improve city roads.
I recall suggesting an initiative for $750 million in bonding which could have made a yuge difference.