View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 7:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The city should sell the garage with a condition of the sale to redevelop instead of the current garage use. Portland should then use the Prosper Portland contribution + sale proceeds to contribute to affordable housing on the site and in the neighborhood...and/or some to TriMet to build/renovate/streamline their downtown blue/red stops.

On that same topic, the city should sell off their Smart Park garages anyway with conditional sales for near future redevelopment on the site. If they really believe that Smart Park garages are still necessary, they can purchase underground parking with sale proceeds in those new developments.

The two garages on each side of Pioneer Mall (along with Pioneer's inward focus) suck the life out of what would be a lively stretch in downtown.
Personally I love the Smart Park garages just because of their cheap rates. It is nice to come downtown, park for the same cost a metered street spot would cost, and not have to worry about getting a ticket. Granted I am also one of the few lucky ones that can park downtown for free regardless.

As for the Pioneer Mall, I wouldn't be saying that it is sucking the life out of a what would be a lively stretch, unless you are just referring to that there are no outward facing shops along those blocks on the mall side. Inside the mall it is pretty dead, I really wonder how any of the businesses in it can stay afloat. It wouldn't shock me to see the buildings one day get converted in a food cart, flex office space kind of building. They already rent an entire floor to WeWorks.