View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Back in post# 13019, e_r posted an eBay find showing the Los Angeles Public Library in 1943. I wish it was a USC image so I could zoom in. I've had to make do with enlarging a small section and tweaking the levels. I can't read the sign, but it's obviously not the Berger's sign seen above. Having said that, the awnings, the gooseneck lights over the sign and the blade sign all look the same. I'm going to guess that Berger's was trading at 701 W 6th in the mid-40s.

Detail of picture found on eBay by ethereal_reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post

Squinting at this eatery sign- I betcha it reads: Italian Shaved Ice Cream-- Anybody concur ?
I concur on the "Ice Cream" part, and initially I also thought that I saw the word "Italian", but I think the second word is shorter than "Shaved". After doing my own squinting for a couple of days, my guess is "Golden State Ice Cream". I found pictures of a couple of billboards and neon signs from the '30s to the '50s which advertised a brand with that name. There was also the Golden State Company at 1120 Towne Avenue which appears under "Ice Cream Manufacturers" in the 1942 CD. Even if I'm right about the sign, it may not refer to either of these companies. I also think there's no connection with the current Golden State Ice Cream, Inc of San Jose. There was no location given for this image, but the date appears to be 1935.

Duke University Libraries