View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 9:25 AM
Reliable Source

Here's my review of No Mas Cantina. I was there for lunch yesterday with a person totally unfamiliar with the area. There's definitely an interesting cultural thing about Atlanta Westside ("Da Bestside"). I'm aware that this area appeals to a certain type and is not appealing to another type - mainly European females. They invariably tell me they prefer the Eastside, ie Virginia Highlands etc. Oh well. I believe that males of a certain background (myself included) would more enjoy the ambiance of the Westside. My lunch companion referred to Castleberry Hill as a "slum" and "ghetto" and didn't really feel good getting out of the car in the parking lot. In fact, except for one other patron and one (Mexican) staff, we were the only non-African-Americans in there. It's interesting to speculate how Mexican cuisine interplays with the neighborhood, which is basically a residential and entertainment adjunct of the area black colleges. For me it's something of a disconnect, a similar effect as if I walked into the venue and saw nothing but blue-eyed blond suburbanites. The food was good (though not as good as Rosa Mexicano); the help was friendly and efficient; the music was a bit loud and heavy but anyway I left a generous tip. However, as we arrived toward the end of the lunch business, and during our entire visit the place was definitely pretty empty. I, being a financial guy, wonder how long they can remain.

Last edited by Fiorenza; Mar 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM.