View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:48 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
I do not think that walkability is that big an issue in downtown Saskatoon. Having lived in Vancouver's West End for sixteen years I walked everywhere. From the proposed new library to the River Landing condos is only six blocks (approximately 1 kilometre) which is about a fifteen minute walk. During the winter months this may be a bit more challenging but downtown Saskatoon is not really that huge. The excessive surface parking lots are a definite eyesore and I would love to see a lot of infill.
If the naysayers don't quash the proposed new downtown arena and convention centre it should be a catalyst project for more commercial and residential development in the core area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/490+2...!3e2?entry=ttu
A walk through Vancouver's downtown and the West End is night and day compared to Saskatoon.

First, there's the weather. I know people in Saskatoon get used to the cold and all, and dressing appropriately helps, but you can't possibly argue that a 30-minute commute by foot in minus-30 isn't less comfortable than the same commute in plus-5? My daily commute in Vancouver is 1.6 kilometres. Sometimes I hop on the frequent buses on Georgia to speed things up, but otherwise the 20-minute walk is perfectly enjoyable. On the contrary, my 1.3 kilometres walk to work in Saskatoon across the Victoria Bridge was downright miserable in the winter.

The second factor is the environment you are walking in. I'm sorry, but the pedestrian experience on many of Saskatoon's streets suck. Whether walking down Idylwyld (or 22nd or 25th) with its narrow sidewalks and fast traffic or 19th with its continuous surface parking lots from the Farmer's Market to 3rd, it's not an enjoyable experience. To really boost the pedestrian environment downtown, I would love to see development of the surface lots, increased population so that businesses are motivated to provide more amenities that are closer together, and additional landscaping. A pedestrian mall (say 21st from Midtown to the Bess) would also speak volumes to the city's desire to not just accommodate but also prioritize pedestrians.