View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 4:42 PM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskyline View Post
I'm tired of the myth of the "free market" that we all must bow down to and allow to govern our lives. There is no free market. Sprawling development is the result of massive subsidies to oil and gas companies and developers. Everything in society is the result of choices and when powerful interests get to decide, everyone else gets screwed. Maybe we could take all the public money we're giving the untouchable mafia bosses who run the financial system and build these people publicly run grocery stores. It sure would be money better spent.

When it comes to Wall Street bonuses we must honor contracts, but when it comes to honoring pension obligations contracts don't matter. The "invisible hand" is really the hand of the rich taking money out of the pockets of the rest of us.
What "subsidies" to developers are you talking about? My city offers subsidies to build residential units downtown. Those have been very popular, but aside from MUD reimbursements I have never seen any of these mysterious sprawl subsidies.