View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 5:16 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

New Campaign Encourages Straphangers To Report Gropers

August 06, 2008

NYC Transit is launching an anti-groping campaign next month.

The agency is set to flood the system with some 2,000 posters next month, warning potential gropers that a crowded train is no excuse for improper touching. The posters also encourage anyone who is groped to tell MTA workers or the police.

The move comes after a survey last year by Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer found 63 percent of women riders polled said they had been sexually harassed.

Some riders NY1 spoke with said groping is a problem.

"When the train is really crowded, they do try to get too close to you and to touch you," said one subway rider.

"I think it's a terrible thing," said another. "You're just trying to get to work and trying to get home and there's nothing that should happen between those two things; that's inappropriate."

"If I was groped on the subway and I saw the sign with the number, yes I would like to report it," said a third. "However, what would I tell them? Who would I describe? At what time will they be able to contact this person? It's hard to follow up with something like that."

The NYPD says police have arrested 119 people this year for sexual abuse or lewdness on the subways.