View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:38 PM

I wonder how much time these new stops will add to the trip time between Orlando and Miami? Perhaps this means that they are looking at an express service with fewer stops and a local service, possibly going only between Miami and West Palm Beach? Could this be the first step in an evolution to have VTUSA run their own private version of the Coastal Link? Tri-Rail is moving so slowly towards extending service to VTUSA's Miami station that it would probably take them another decade to start the Coastal Link line on their own. Maybe VTUSA doesn't want another entity running on their tracks, or maybe - because so much of Miami Central's profitability is dependent on real estate which is dependent on high passenger through-put, perhaps VTUSA is getting impatient with Tri-Rail and wants to start Costal Link now, even if it means doing it on their own?

So many questions!

Also - I like the idea of using the rail line to the Port to give access to cruise ships, but I don't know if building a full station at the port makes sense. Trains stopping at that station would have to bipass Miami Central, which is where most people presumably want to go. Also, the railhead in the port can be as far way from the terminals as a half mile, and that seems like an inconvenient distance for passengers to walk considering that it would be through a very industrialized port area.
I think it would make more sense for them to run a trolley service from the ground level of Miami Central out to the Port, sort of like they are proposing to run a separate railcar to a Disney station from the Orlando station. The trolley could stop at each cruise terminal, like a shuttle in the airport, for added utility. Nobody likes a transfer, but in the case of the port, if luggage is delivered in a van straight from Miami Central onto the ship, this could be seen as a convenience rather than an 'extra step.'

I will trust whatever VTUSA comes up with eventually, but it's fun to speculate!