View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 9:13 AM

"D.O.A." is a great film noir. I just recently learned that another great film noir called "Shockproof" will be released on DVD; I saw a restored print of that film a few years ago at the Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. It shows great shots of Bunker Hill from the late 1940s; the film itself was released in 1949. From what I've heard, that film hadn't been seen in years, as it wasn't really available on video for a long time. Douglas Sirk directed "Shockproof," which surprised me, because I've only associated him with his technicolor melodramas from the 1950s.

I found the link on the LADOT website that I and I'm sure many of you may find interesting. They've retitled the link "Transportation History in Southern California." In it you'll find very interesting tidbits about streetlights, traffic lights, etc. in LA and environs. And if anyone's ever been curious about those weird "subway" stairs that go into some sidewalks that are now closed and caged over with chain-link, you'll learn what those are about too; I remember as a kid being very curious about them. You'll also learn that California has always had red stop signs, back when every other state had yellow stop signs... really interesting things to read about.

Click here: Transportation Topics and Tales: Milestones in Transportation History in Southern California

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Dec 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM.