View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 12:14 AM

Denver and Calgary are extremely similar in so many ways, they could be considered the twin cities of North America. Well, at least leading into the mid-2000s before Calgary blew Denver away after building the Bow, 8th Avenue Place and a slew of other new towers. Given that Denver is... well, Denver... it's no surprise that this architectural clone is shorter than 8th Ave. Place in Calgary. I wouldn't expect anything less than Denver falling short.

Glad to see the move away from the earth-tone palette, but this building could really use some spicing up... some pizzazz! Some character showing through what is a relatively innocuous design. The concept of two opposite pillars of glass juxtaposed together is cool, but overall the building looks just so... bland. A little effort on the crown, perhaps a true "spire" that would put 4 Seasons in its place (and surpass it in height), and some time spent making the monotone and uninspired glass facade more interesting could really make this a knock-out building.

I still prefer 1100 15th Street (the Hines Proposal) from 10 years ago. THAT building would have been something to salivate over, but I'm extremely happy to see the site being developed. Eventually, Denver will build a tower worthy of the front cover of architectural magazines. You can only fail so many times before there's a fluke and you get it "right".