View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 12:04 PM

According to the bill, the maximum extent is the extent I've shown on the map plus all the communes which share a border with this minimum perimeter (i.e. all the communes which border the red line on my map). If all these communes decided to joined, then the Greater Paris metropolis would be made up of 170 communes, and its population would be 7.7 millions inhabitants.

It is however probable that a majority of these communes will NOT join the Greater Paris Metropolis, for fear of becoming a small voice in a big assembly, and of losing too many powers. So probably only a few communes beyond the red line will join, but I do not know how many. Answer by the Autumn of next year!

In the future, however, the French government may redraw the borders of the Greater Paris Metropolis after realizing it's stupid to cut the suburbs in half. Even worse, they've cut CDG airport and Orly airport in half (half of each of these airports will be inside the Greater Paris Metropolis, and half outside of it). More and more voices are saying that the borders are stupid and should have been drawn much further out. So hopefully they will redraw them in the future.