View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
And considering 44 Monroe is a much nicer looking building from the outside. The CityScape tower is so value engineered and ugly, I'd be embarrassed to pay luxury rental prices to live in a metallic, brutalist mess.
I think they let the Palomar sit on its own for so long to make the finished tower looked more impressive; it almost worked - the finished product is SO much better than that gray stub was. Up close, I am sure the materials look just as cheap, seeing as every other part of the project looks like it could melt in a few more summers - the plastic gray windows on the retail building, the 'public art' by Chipotle that needs to just be ripped out, the haphazard approach to filling in the gray 2nd-story rectangles with posters, the heinous signage for CVS, 'Bowling,' etc.

I forgot that the other stellar views are of the gigantic roof atop the 2-story retail; I may have mentioned this, but they donated some great prizes to a charity event I held, and after wrapping up and thanking them, I suggested doing something - ANYTHING - with that roof. It was such an eyesore from the Palomar; I recommended a patio for Copper Blues since it lacks any outdoor space, or just simply a green roof to host things markets and yoga, etc. "Thanks for the ideas!" So many 'small' fixes (considering their damn budget and freebies) like that, a door on Washington into Chipotle, corner door and patio into Chloe's...

Shitty design and materials aside, the damn thing is working... 1 retail space left behind V's Barbershop (and replacement for Lawless Denim? Saw some really sketchy reviews and it isn't listed in the directory), and ahead of the game in terms of renting out the apartments.