View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
LAPL
Carnegie Libraries of California
Carnegie Libraries of California

Sorry, I'm on a roll.... Myrtle Avenue in Monrovia appears to be a treasure trove--I wish I could say that the library above still stands, but it was replaced in 1956.
Ah, Monrovia. It has much more character than neighboring Duarte (where Glenn Miller supposedly once lived). I used to go into Monrovia regularly, being that I had a friend who lived there, but he doesn't live there anymore--he moved out 8 years ago, so there's really no reason for me to go there anymore. My partner and I would joke with him about Monrovia being very "provincial," to put it politely; my partner had a professor who said that in the San Gabriel Valley, civilization ends east of Pasadena, and we once told our friend that, to his chagrin.

Monrovia is home, of course, to the Aztec Hotel, built in 1925, I believe, and was once on the alignment of Route 66.

LAPL

LAPL

LAPL

And the 1956 library, that replaced the earlier Carnegie? It too has been replaced, by a much larger library, in 2009.

~ Charles Bukowski