View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 3:37 PM

These are obviously sort of simplistic categories, but it's fun to think about, so:

Toronto: Any Friday or Saturday evening, pretty much all of Queen West, from University to Parkdale, is lively. The Annex is jumping. Anything on College Street between Spadina and about Ossington will be happening. The Entertainment District, obviously, will be a massive shit show.

In some neighbourhoods, at some times, Toronto feels very 24 hours. That energy isn't spread uniformly across the city (a la Manhattan) but it's definitely present in some areas.

Calgary: 12-hour city when I was growing up there in the 90s, but it's changed a lot. I'd put it in the 18-hour category for sure, but again, only if you're in the right areas. (Beltline/Sunnyside/Stephen Avenue sometimes).

Halifax: Unequivocally 18-hours. There are days and nights in the summer when things come together just right and you can get a sense of what it would be like as a 24-hour city, (i.e., people are out and about until late, not just in one concentrated bar district, but in a variety of neighbourhoods). Right now that's a rare and fleeting thing, but the city's core neighbourhoods are undergoing significant densification and revitalization, so I think it will grow in coming years. (Still isn't likely to become a true 24-hour city to any significant degree, however--at least not in the foreseeable future.)