View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:47 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Of note, there are already plans afoot to bulldoze some of the footy pitches to the north of McMahon with a new fieldhouse and another one of the footy pitches has some proposal for another hockey rink or two to the south of the existing two rinks.
Oh yeah, I remember that proposal. Even if the E-W pitch was removed to accommodate expanding Father David Bauer and Foothills Stadium was demolished to accommodate a Field House, which I feel is still a long shot, the two N-S pitches could be replaced atop a sizable above ground parkade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Flames/Stamps have said a few times now that both the Saddledome and McMahon are obsolete and would like to replace both (and also own both ideally). So I don't see anything changing at McMahon aside from the minor improvements they've made this year.
Especially in Calgary, people are very quick and probably too quick to turn to the new-build or greenfield solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk_o View Post
A large scale West Village / Greyhound site type development is for sure the most common rumor I hear circulate around the fan forum events (take that for what its worth). Personally, I would love for this to be true as given the popular options it would be my pick.
Are there any good urban examples of two large scale sporting facilities being located next to each other? I’m most familiar with London where Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (multiple facilities) and Wembley (one massive stadium poorly integrated into the local neighbourhood) pale in comparison to Craven Cottage, Emirates Stadium, Stamford Bridge, The Valley and Whiteheart Lane that are all integrated into the local neighbourhood.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz