View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 5:53 AM

The Seminole's Neighboring Lots.

BEAUDRY ----

First off ....thanks to adding to my post on The Young! You are amazing!

As to those empty lots. That IS a question mark. But would they build the walkways before construction? Or maybe two houses had just been demolished in advance of something else to be built. I dunno. Just asking.

Perhaps there were houses there and they burned. Hasn't been mentioned directly in this now 137 page thread, though I am sure may of us are aware that FIRE was a BIG DEAL in those days. A REALLY BIG DEAL. How many apartments and hotels, like The Young and The Southland, touted their FIREPROOF characteristics. (Whether there was basis in those claims in another matter, of course.)

I've read about a boiler explosion or two on here, but not much on residential building fires. Checked a few LAFD historical sites without much luck. But there has to be some record of fires in these older Downtown structures over the years, and I suspect that list is not short.

Idle thought......."The Southland".....and here all along I thought it was Jerry Dunphy who coined that phrase...LOL

(....and what was that old joke about Jerry Dunphy's first on-air interview being Abe Lincoln.....)