View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:21 PM

I want to applaud and celebrate everyone’s contributions, research, and perspectives that are alive in this thread. I’ve been a lurker for a little over a year and haven’t even made it through every page yet because I usually end up Googling something. I particularly like the personal recollections or other opinions. Nevertheless, I suppose my noire fascination began with Old Time Radio or other media, and some fleeting memories of stories my dad would discuss of his growing up in the LA area since the early 30’s. Now that he’s gone, noire in movies, television, or radio has been my source of reminiscence of a time that no one is likely to live in again. I was born and raised in Glendale in the mid 60’s and when I was young I was exposed too much of the area’s history from my parents and others around me, chiefly through gradual absorption of discussions as we drove places. Now that I live out of state I have a particular evocative attachment for other sources of Glendale and LA history. For example, on Facebook other fellow Glendale natives (or transplants) have started a group, “Vintage Glendale "The Jewel City", we share stories and photos that go hand in hand with this general theme. (We are always looking for more contributors if anyone is interested).

Consequently, it was the postings about Double Indemnity and Crime Wave that found a crossover between noire and Glendale history. Personally, I am attracted to the efforts to record and preserve things of historical significance even if through pictures and stories. It is a great credit that so many people are now realizing how easily lost and overlooked history, works of art (architecture), or events are disappearing without being recorded. Hopefully, groups and sites like this can preserve and influence this history.