View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Tourism was Windsor's 2nd largest industry for quite some time (until 9/11 happened which ruined everything).
That's why I suggested having our gov't pay to wave the fees for getting passports for Americans, for a limited time.

Frankly, its just in our economic interest.

Of course, one does not want to rely solely on tourism. Its simply one of the easier non-direct public employment areas to boost.

I would strongly favour growing U of Windsor; particularly by giving them a full medical school, instead of the current UWO satellite program.

U Windsor could draw both more Ontario students, but also more international students (U.S. and otherwise) and be a boon to the local economy in the process.

Making Windsor more of a logistics (warehouse/distribution) hub would make sense.

Trucks don't have anywhere near the border issues, and Windsor, like Detroit, is well positioned to serve both Ontario and the mid-Western U.S.

Although retail typically doesn't provide the best jobs, I think subject to some modest population growth, and restored tourism, there could be more 'regional destination retail' in Windsor, over time.

As for branding Windsor, I think there should be an effort to bring in more Canadian media, in the digital era, and considering what I assume has to be shrinkage in U.S. media in the area, there should be 'spectrum' or dial space available for CBC Radio 3, Windsor (we need that in Toronto too), I don't know if a 3rd TV station could be supported, but that's worth looking at too. The more media based in Windsor, the more recognition it will get in both Canada and across the border.

Reducing Windsor's isolation for those who don't drive is also an issue; as increasing numbers of Torontonians (including the wealthy) don't own cars. Downtown Parking spaces for purchase now go for $50,000. I think the long anticipated VIA upgrades, in both travel time and frequency will help in this regard; hopefully they'll get done by 2013.

Last edited by Northern Light; Nov 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM.