View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Atlantan View Post
I have to admit I do not know the details, but common sense tells me that with less than 500,000 people spread out in an area of 132 square miles (by comparison New York city is 8 million people over 305 square miles, you can do the math), and most of these people poor and as you mentioned before many corporations outside of the city limits, there is bound not to be enough tax base to maintain properly the huge infrastructure of Atlanta.
Recently things have been done: streets repaved, sidewalks added, not to mention the huge undertaking of fixing the sewers. I think the city is doing a pretty good job considering all of the above. Certainly not the time for Buckhead to leave Atlanta. By the way I live in Buckhead and I appreciate the sidewalks that have been added on Lindbergh that allow me to walk to Marta to go to work.
And why are people in Buckhead complaining? the tax has been increased for everybody and if somebody can afford it it's certainly the rich people in Buckhead...
In addition to that, wasn't the definition of Buchkead was changed to mean everything between 75 and 85, about 1/5th of the city. I'm sure someone here knows when this change occured but I would imagine that it consumed nearly all of the nice neighborhoods in the city at the time. In retrospect, it was probably a bad idea given this sub-city mentality we see now.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM.