View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The TO skyline of the late 60's -late 70's
is my personal favourite TO skyline. Those big boxy bank towers, the still observable pre-war stock of beaux-art and art deco skyscrapers and the eventual CN tower. Maybe it wasn't ideal at street-level, but from a purely aesthetic seen-from-afar POV its perfect.

The TO skyline today is one of the biggest in the world, but it just doesn't do it for me.
That's one thing that's great with Montreal. Many of its pre-war towers are at the foreground of the skyline near the St-Laurent, in Le Vieux, with the mid-century and modern towers in the background. Winnipeg (with the Exchange) and Ottawa (Parliamentary Precinct) are similar.

Edmonton (Legislator and Hotel Mcdonald) and Vancouver (Gastown) have a few pre-war buildings still visible, but not quite as prominently as the aforementioned.

In Toronto, every single one of its classical towers are hidden behind countless glass condo towers, even the Royal York at this point. Calgary is the same.

Quebec City is in a class of its own, with the vast majority of the city dating back to the the 1600s-early 1900s. Only a handful of mid-century and modern towers are visible, but still enough to make a good impact.