Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 3:24 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolfire View Post
I wonder how practical it would be to convert 16th Ave and Deerfoot interchange to a hybrid roundabout? If you had a 4 lane East-West flyover and then reconfigured the lanes on the bridges it might work. And it would be pretty cheap as there wouldn't be much earth moving and the elevations on each side would work to your advantage.
I saw an intersection similar to this in Spain but I can't remember where it was exactly. I've been searching the Costa Del Sol area in Google Earth in an attempt to get an image but haven't had any success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
So they would be a good thing at smaller, neighbourhood intersections instead of a set of lights. But you will never see a roundabout replace something like MacLeod and Anderson.
Oh yeah, of course. I was thinking about situations like 4-way stops and non-regulated intersections in rez neighbourhoods, as well as, smaller yet busy intersections in other areas. However, seeing a roundabout with lights being placed at a major intersection would be interesting.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz