View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
USCDL (and gsjansen)

Call me reactionary if you want, but even this, which we might be able to enjoy for some Mid-Century appeal, would be preferable to the junkheap
currently on the NW corner of Hollywood and Highland. While I can't find any comprehensive shots of what was actually in place after the old
Hollywood Hotel, I'm not so sure that whatever was there might not have been preferable to the junkheap. Can anyone find shots of the corner
after Mira Hershey's legacy buildings were demolished?
Gaylord: I'm looking forward to any photos at what was at the NW corner of Highland and Hollywood. I lived in LA in the 70's, and my memory is that there was an ugly eyesore of a 60's high-rise bank bldg. there. Not too dissimilar to the one in the architect's drawing of a proposed new "Hollywood Hotel" you show. That tacky bank bldg. was even worse than the present-day "complex."
I went into the bank bldg. once because it was where Homer Tobermann (spelling?), early Hollywood developer, kept his huge file of old Hollywood photographs, and I got to look through the file.
Oh, the original Hollywood Hotel - such an old, and a bit shabby, beauty. Another priceless historical treasure, Gone with the wind.

LAPL

LAPL

LAPL
A great night shot, with a '56 Oldsmobile in front.

LAPL

Thanks, malumot: You've stated it much more clearly than apparently I was able to.... It does indeed look as though a piece of something rolled down through the Pass and settled as an irreparable pile of junk on Hollywood Boulevard.... To quote Gebhard and Winter: "The tedium is relieved only by...details from D.W. Griffith's famous set for Intolerance splashed around. Unfortunately some rearing elephants and an Assyrian gate do not raise the building out of the cheap and tawdry." 'Nuff said.
Gaylord: I'm looking forward to any photos at what was at the NW corner of Highland and Hollywood. I lived in LA in the 70's, and my memory is that there was an ugly eyesore of a 60's high-rise bank bldg. there. Not too dissimilar to the one in the architect's drawing of a proposed new "Hollywood Hotel" you show. That tacky bank bldg. was even worse than the present-day "complex."
I went into the bank bldg. once because it was where Homer Tobermann (spelling?), early Hollywood developer, kept his huge file of old Hollywood photographs, and I got to look through the file.
Oh, the original Hollywood Hotel - such an old, and a bit shabby, beauty. Another priceless historical treasure, Gone with the wind.