View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Tell us more. That's really cool BGC.

There was a house in my hometown, built about the same time are yours, that had a built-in vacuum.
All a person had to do was attach the vacuum hose to round outlets in the wall.
The basement, no doubt, was home to some sort of sucking mechanism.

Have you ever heard of such a thing?
My ex-boyfriend years ago lived in a house in Huntington Beach for a short time that had a whole-house vacuum. I had never seen or heard of such a thing until I went to that house. It didn't work all that well, but it sure was nice not having to haul a vacuum cleaner from room to room. Instead we had to haul the hose attachment from room to room.

My parent's house had an intercom. They replaced it once. Here's the last one that was in the house when we sold it.

Intercom by Kimberly, on Flickr

We hardly used that intercom. People who came to visit sure did like to use it. Particularly my cousins. It was a fun toy for them.

ETA: Actually, Mom used the intercom the most for just the radio function. She could tune a station on the main intercom pictured above and set to play over select house speakers. She liked to put it on one of the outside speakers when she was gardening or doing yard work because then she didn't have to carry a portable radio outside.