View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:12 PM

I hope no one minds staying in Long Beach for another Julius Shulman post - I'm doing them in the order I find them. This Bank of America was only a couple of blocks from yesterday's branch, but this one occupied the first floor of a much larger building on the northwest corner of 1st Street and Pine Avenue. I think that's a USS Portsmouth shield on the corner of the building, but can't be sure. This is "Job 1092: Bank of America (Long Beach, Calif.),1951".

Here's the view looking north on Pine Avenue. In 1951, the south side of the intersection was flanked by a dentist on each side.

Across Pine Avenue from the Bank of America was Security First National Bank on the first floor of an even larger building. South of the bank on the right were the Heartwell Building and the 1929 Ocean Center Building.

All from Getty Research Institute

The old bank building is still standing, and in good shape, but it's no longer a bank. It's now an Italian restaurant called L'Opera, which gets pretty good reviews. Sadly, they've moved the entrance to the corner of the building, so the shield has gone. You'll now find the Downtown Long Beach Station on the Metro Blue Line outside the old bank building in the middle of 1st Street.

GSV

The Bank of America may have become an Italian restaurant, but the Security First National Bank is now The Federal Bar.

GSV

It's lucky that the two bank buildings survived, because everything on Pine Avenue between 1st Street and Ocean Boulevard has been replaced. At least the Ocean Center Building is still there.

GSV