View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
LAPL

GoogleSV

I ran across this shot of the house at 629 S. Lucerne, and naturally had to see if it still stands.
It does...the lions are gone from sidewalk...thought maybe they'd been moved up close to the
porch, but the ones there now seem to be different. This is one of those old Windsor Square
houses that seem untouched by time. The birds of paradise, what looks like it might be a casual
approach to keeping up the grounds. I wonder if the house isn't inhabited by the figure in the
left upstairs window, who I imagine is elderly....

Meanwhile, in the midst of the dystopian fantasies of some, apparently spawned by old movies, a DTLA revival is in full swing.... Which, it seems obvious, is signified by the restoration of the Chocolate Shoppe. To assume that cities are doomed is as mistaken as assuming that all suburbs are thriving and that rural places are like Mayberry. (If they are, what's with some American small towns seeming to have become nothing more than meth labs and some disappearing altogether? From what I read, cities are full of energy and the 'burbs and rural areas are not, and it's the way things are going these days. Thank God for those half my age.
Gaylord - as always, you bring something special to the conversation. Suburbia: (shudder!) God save us all from Mayberry.

About that house on South Lucerne Avenue: I've met the current owners (they've had it somewhere around 7 years now) & understand they've done quite a bit of interior restoration. No, they aren't elderly (best guess in their early-to-mid-40s) & seem to be taking their time on the work. That would help to explain the wild-garden look of the grounds.