View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2011, 6:41 AM

Welcome, Handsome Stranger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post

The next two photos are from the same shot as the camera pans from left to right. I can't quite make out the street name.

That's North Vendome and Marathon in Silverlake. I knew these had to be in Silverlake. Vendome, incidentally, is where the Laurel and Hardy steps from "The Music Box" are located.

In the first screen grab, the cars are headed north on Vendome and have just crossed Marathon, where the street splits into two roadways. Today that landscaped strip is a center median, but in those screen grabs, it looks like traffic might've gone two-ways on either side of that median, unless, for some reason, the director had the cars drive on the wrong side of the road.

Using Google Street View, here are approximately the modern-day views of that 2nd screen grab, one from behind the median, and one from ahead of the median:

Google Street View

Google Street View

The duplexes next to that 2-story apartment building still exist, but the middle one has lost its porches. At least they have in this Google Street View. I haven't driven on this street in a while, maybe that duplex looks different now? Hmm...

~ Charles Bukowski