View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I don't ever recall a proposal to demolish everything.
Assuming the easiest/most cost effective route for any developer/development is to start from a clean slate/empty lot.

Too bad Stewart motor company isn't still in business at this location and too bad they couldn't have kept their original white facade and beautiful signage. This whole discussion would be moot. Actually, i'm upset about the loss of the couple of beautiful single family mansion style homes that were demolished for the stewart motor company building in the first place. (Some of) You demonize the automobile on this site like it's the spawn of Satan, yet suddenly get a hard on for Phoenix's supposed "automobile row" (I've never even heard of that until this whole issue came about) that this building was a part of? What about the street cars and millionaires row of north central that were lost because of this building partly?

I think the HP dept and preservation community need to alter their game plan. Waiting and twiddling their (our) thumbs watching historic buildings they (we) supposedly love sit and rot in front of our faces, then getting up in arms when someone makes a move on a building and plans something deemed undesirable isn't working. They need to figure out a way to inventory what's out there, determine the ownership, raise funds, buy any and everything when it comes for sale, then let it continue to rot and simultaneously enjoy it, or dump more money into it to renovate it and do something worthwhile. Otherwise, you're (we're) just going to be let down over and over again and reduced to anger and tears.