View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:11 PM

LAHS No. 1

Thank you Scott. I was just wondering, since tetsu posted the color image of LAHS #1, when the eastern extention was built:

1892:

uscdl

1898:
uscdl

Ezra Kysor retired from Kysor, Morgan and Walls by 1890. I'll assume Morgan and Walls did the addition.

I'm glad someone tried to save the building:

"Construction of the highway spelled the end for several pieces of Downtown history. The route cut through Fort Moore Hill, site of the Los Angeles High School. The school originally opened at Broadway and Temple in 1873, and was moved to the Fort Moore site. As construction of the freeway loomed closer, various interests fought to move the historic building to a nearby site, but the school board eventually voted to raze the structure instead."
-blogdowntown

A painful loss.

lapl (first posted by MichaelRyerson on pg 418)

"Three old schools, now in the path where a section of the Hollywood Freeway will be constructed, are being razed on Fort Moore Hill to make way for the new thoroughfare. (1) is the Fort Hill School; (2) is the first high school built in Los Angeles, and (3) is Central School. Everything between the broken lines will be cleared away for the super-roadway, Photo dated: February 1, 1949. "

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fix photo credit