View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
A little bit of "person information" Fletcher C. Johns was born in Louisiana in 1873. He is found in LA directories as early as 1902, where it seems he was working as a boot black. He appears in the 1920 census, listed as a lodger, living at 615 E. 4th street in what appears to be a fairly large place, given the number of persons living there. He was listed in that census as being a janitor in an office building. The place where Mr. Johns lived was run by a Mary V. Walton, her sister and mother.

The 1930 Census also lists Mr. Johns as being a janitor, but this census notes that he worked in the Southern California Edison building. By then, he was living on East 33rd Street and was rooming with another man who was also a janitor. Mr Johns died on August 27, 1944 in Los Angeles.

Just a small personal note in the larger Noir picture.

Thanks oldstuff. I C&P'd over to my photo-stream. Appreciate it.

Interestingly, 615 E. 4th Street is a hotel with an unusual footprint at the confluence of 4th Street, Central and Stanford Avenues. I haven't been able to find a name for the hotel nor, obviously, a picture but will work on it.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Mar 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM.