View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
The states four largest metropolitan areas are already connected in the north and south by conventional rail service, which has enjoyed strong passenger growth over the years. Connecting those regions with faster reliable service would translate into even more riders. If the system then proves cost effect to construct and operate, a larger statewide system could then be looked at.
Sacramento with the Bay Area and San Diego with LA are also already connected with service that is much better, faster and more frequent than the north-south service. CalTrans has already spent significantly to improve the Capital Corridor and Pacific Surfliner services (adding double track and sidings so that pasengers will not be endlessly delayed by freight as they are on the north-south route). To me, someone who rides trains a lot, you sound distressingly unfamiliar with what already exists.

I will repeat that one would easily and fairly quickly be able to go by train from San Diego to Sacramento by train if a HSR link between LA and the Bay Area only were built. I support the best (read largest) system that is politically possible, but if money is short, the Bay Area to LA segment is clearly the most important because it creates a pretty good complete rail system when added to what exists.