View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2012, 6:48 PM

That giant mass of supertalls and the fact that it is only growing. Lots of girls here in the South love Miami and think it's fun, I've never been despite having a lot of family in Florida. The skyline right along the waterfront is majestic, one of the best in the country and getting better.

Of course, I think that, very soon, it needs to start working on some cozier, European-style neighborhoods because it can't really feel homey when you just have suburbs and skyscrapers. I'd like to see the leadership there look to that as a new direction for future development. The raw capitalist vibe is tons of fun but everywhere in the south needs to work on more "old-world" style city building because we really have so much distinct culture to draw from. Look to New Orleans/Savannah/Charleston for inspiration.

The CNU just held its last conference in Miami and Richard Florida (of the Atlantic Cities) liked the fact that it has the densest neighborhood south of NYC, but felt that it was missing that kind of "neighborhood-building," which gives a lasting sense of place.
To reiterate, I'm not saying that I don't like it, I'm just saying that I'd like to see another style of development also being taken, as an alternative for the future and to give it more soul. Because they have the resources.