View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:36 AM

AUSTIN | Moody Center (U.T. Basketball Arena) | Complete

I saw someone talking about this on Horns247 and, admittedly, this is what caused me to sign up for a Statesman subscription. I'm really interested in this project. Replacing the Erwin Center will be one of the biggest things to ever happen to Austin. The question is: what will the city of Austin do when UT doesn't need a big arena that doubles as a premier entertainment venue? The answer seems to be that they'll have to build their own, which is the best thing for Austin in the long run, IMO.

Here's the article:

Quote:
Will parking lot become home to a new Texas basketball arena?

Posted: 12:00 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015

By Brian Davis, Ralph K.M. Haurwitz and Lilly Rockwell - American-Statesman Staff

University of Texas officials have discussed building the new basketball arena on the parking lot immediately south of the Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field, multiple school officials said.

It’s premature to say that location is the front-runner, Texas Men’s Athletic Director Steve Patterson said. Still, it is one of a half-dozen that are getting serious consideration from an initial list of 20 possible spots.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spor...3419960.735637
Summary for those who can't read it:

Anonymous inside sources suggest that this is the location that's generating the most interest inside the athletic department. But there's all kinds of issues to be worked out such as turnover with the city government and at UT. Also, the site could be needed for future Dell Medical School expansion. So it's too early to (publicly, at least) name this site the leader. The South Shore is also mentioned as a possible site for a multipurpose arena but that's more speculation on the Stateman's part than anything coming from the city or from UT.