View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
to the extent that you can discern someone's personality over an internet web-forum, you may not be strong parenthood material.

to do it well requires a fair bit of self-sacrifice, which does not appear to be your strong suit, again from your online postings.

that said, few things can change a man more than becoming a dad, and things that you believe to be 100% true about yourself today can be turned completely upside down in just 9 months.

i'm living proof of this. just read this post of mine from over a decade ago. and now look at me.

one of mother nature's stranger jokes is that a lot of men have no idea how much they want to be a father until they actually become one.

i'm a textbook example of this phenomenon.
That's *you*.

There are probably hundreds of millions of detached fathers out there. Lots of men don't change, and there is an enormous number of deadbeat dads in this country and around the world. You can't take your epiphany and extrapolate it to what men think. On the contrary, there are a lot of men who probably wanted to be fathers but had no idea how much they did not. Just go look at the statistics of the ever rising number of men who abandon their family.

I love my child, but I don't think having one really changed me and I don't feel guilty about it either. I simply learned to love another human being as much as I love myself.