View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
Okay, we have really, really exhausted this spire/antenna issue by now. It has basically been discussed continuously for months, with different people essentially repeating the same things.

I hate the cheapness and greediness of the people who kept the radome from being installed as much as anyone else, but the bottom line is the Lower Manhattan skyline is back, and the hole in our hearts and in the skyline that was there for the past decade is finally starting to be filled. This is not as much about having the "tallest" building in the US as much as it's simply about New York bringing downtown back to how it used to be, a vibrant business and tourist destination. Even if they count the spire and 1WTC becomes the tallest in America, something will eventually be built within several years that will surpass it. But what will stay is the new symbol of New York (and America's) resilience after a disaster.

How the antenna turned out is a huge shame, but ultimately if nothing is done about it the only thing we can do is appreciate what we've got (and what we're going to get with the rest of this beautiful complex).
It's not a symbol of anything but the ills of bureaucracy, greed, incompetence. I really hope something bigger goes up in front of 1 WTC, perhaps a true 1776 footer, and blocks it.

I will never get over that horrid antenna. What a tragedy.