View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Well done to Beaudry and GW for identifying AlexandreL's locations so quickly. The 1956 CD lists the 'Money to Loan' building at 831 as Eddie's Loan, complete with the MAdison 8431 phone number. The premises on the left was the Fig Leaf Cafe at 833, but there's no listing for the store with the "Herman's Cafe" neon sign in the window.

LAPL

Just along the street, The Rollin Apartments used to stand at the corner of Flower and W 3rd. USC date this picture as 1900-1909. The stores on the first floor are Sawyer's Vienna Bakery, Thompson, Long & Co. Plumbing & Hardware (at 803 W 3rd - the only store with a visible street number), and the Angelus Pharmacy on the corner. There's also an entrance marked 'Restaurant and Cafe' about halfway up the hill side of the apartments. The Rollin itself was at 247 S Flower.
Thanks HC! As long as we're on the subject of this part of the world --

Here's a comparison of the 1914 and 1921 Baist's map (courtesy of our good friends at historicmapworks).

Eddie's Loan/Fig Leaf were in an apartment house called The Jonathan, apparently. (Note that the Bozwell was called the Veranda. Bonus St Regis factoid -- Jack Webb grew up there from 1921-38 in #339, living with his mother and grandmother.)

Now, see where Cinnabar dead-ends at Third? Right into a theater in 1914, that has become a garage by 1921. That's the Tunnel Theater, so named because of its proximity to the tunnel, natch. This theater, or at least the garage, because that's what it had been turned into, is seen in another movie (AlexandreL, take note!) for here is a screengrab from the 1959 Corman picture Bucket of Blood. The Tunnel, aka 712 W Third, is the building with the rounded arch atop.

gsjansesn

The Lux would be across the street and down a block -- not quite visible, but here's a shot of the greater area:

calstatelibrary

Sometimes I find a useful way to wrap your head around a problem of neighborhood is to visit the local Giant Model of Downtown in 1940...here we are looking up Third toward the tunnel.

831-35 bottom center, Rollin at intersection of 3rd & Flower near top-center/right. Note in the two preceding shots the Rollin (compare here) has had an extra story added and her bays shaved off.

Anyway, I think I have another movie starring Eddie's Loan! Well, starring is a strong word, and it's not really a movie. Still, about fifteen minutes into Subject: Narcotics there's this five-second shot --

Seems like it. Five black tiles high in both, perhaps, the glass, the opening...in 1951 they had the red sign and by 1956 they had the cut-out letters and those grill-fins (whatever they are)?

Speaking of locations, a fave scene in Subject is when the hype and his pusher get busted. From 15:00-17:00, it's right outside the Chestmere Apts, NE corner of Court & Grand:

mine

Note that when officers turn north on Grand you can glimpse the St Angelo in the distance: