View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
LA is just such an amazing city. The changes that have taken place in such a short period of time is just mind-boggling! It is unbelievable what will change in one's lifetime. This has got to be one of my favorite photo threads on this site. Thanks to everyone that has posted these pictures.
When I was a teenager in the 1970s the pace of recent change was so fast that we didn't have a lot of buildings left that were 90 years old, let alone a century old. Now, though, one of the most encouraging signs is that the architectural fabric isn't being changed at nearly the same pace. As a result, we can now point to a great many pre-war buildings which now remain in active use, or have been repurposed, like the old financial district. And it isn't just downtown, but the same is true in many smaller commercial centers--Santa Monica, Sawtelle, Culver City, and Palms to name a few

For better or worse, the great pulling force which contributed to the rotting away of much of Downtown--exerted by cheap houses in nearby suburbs--has vanished.