View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Though you know I've been here in Atlanta like 25 years and every 5-10 years someone cmoes out this almost this exact same list of cosmetic improvements. Notice a lot of the list just falls under "routine maintenance and updates" or some items are just coming up to code or meeting federal compliance.

At some point there has to be an effort to not only enforce design rules and zoning to improve things going forward, but to go back and correct some of these horrendous leftovers from the downtown as fortress concept, seen so much especially around Peachtree Center. Can't there be code rules put in place that when renovation work is done, the building be brought up to new codes? There's that one corner at the Hyatt, and as noted that blank box of the plaza that need some serious work.

I love the Kunstler comments, especially "Darth Vader Modern" and all the comments about the habitrails. It seems like if you could code out the habitrails you'd force street improvments, but Ptree Cntr would argue that you can't force people out of their AC.

These cosmetic improvements are MUCH needed and will be a huge improvement. And don't forget that entirely new zoning codes were done for the entire downtown area in the last couple of years with the goal of improving what can be developed in downtown going forward.

I've often thought about your second point of improving existing structures and I would love to see CAP AND the city partner on some kind of downtown improvement incentive to spur urban reno's. I don't think these private organizations can accomplish everything on their own.