View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 9:25 PM

A spooky building ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Am I the only one haunted by the Hall of Records? What a spooky building.

waterandpower.org

As I am haunted too (and Ethereal stood by – page 464 # 9263), I'd like to try to psychoanalyse Lwise, Ethereal and myself to recover together from that "spooky" Hall of Records.

Well, I guess it has several characteristics of the images which we form by night in our dreams or worse... nightmares : mainly awkwardness, odds shapes and amounts, and condensations between separate things...

1. everything is on the square except that giant which looks like nothing around. As it was for many years the last building in Downtown to show the old alignment, we've been able to see a lot of pictures showing that uncomfortable and lonely fate which probably led it to be removed : « The Civic Center planners may have sensed it was upstaging the Great Mall » (Los Angeles Times on November 6 1972 – www.metroplaza post #193) ;

2. I've never seen a building in the world which resembles - even remotely – the Hall of Records... except some magic castles in drawings. It's the One and Only Hall of Records ! The 4 that surround it (clockwise : Hall of Justice, Federal, City Hall, State) could be related to other buildings we know - as usual in architecture. It is definitely a separate thing ;

forum.skyscraperpage.com

3. there are so many windows (of different sizes)... and so little wall between (compare to the State Building nearby) that it gives me kinda vertigo ;

4. it is a unlikely composite : have you noticed that the lower part in profile on Broadway (4 rows of windows) and Spring (5 rows) looks amazingly modern for 1910 (except the entrance door) while the upper part (5 above) looks strangely old for 1910 ? It is like 1950's below and 1870's above... (What did the architect have in mind ?) We could well imagine a modern structure on an old (as times goes by, they could build that...) but never an old on a modern, except in a nightmare ! ;

blogs.laweekly.com

5. now a monster on the composite : the view in profile (East and West sides) shows a two-headed body like a polycephalic animal out of the Greek mythology.

6. on an aerial, we see a disturbing shape : 3 buildings in one (the lower and the 2 similars above).

Well... I feel better now, however I like it and I wish they didn't remove it.