View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I read online somewhere that Quentin Tarantino might release another version of this movie [Once Upon a Time in Hollywood], because as you mentioned, so much was cut out for this release, which I assume is also the same version that was shown at this year's Cannes Film Festival. He said the film could have easily been 4 hours.
I'd heard that, too, so last week I tried to find that reference online. I did find that exact reference, but in context it isn't what you might think. He did an interview with Anne Thomson for IndieWire right after the Cannes Film Festival screening where Tarantino talked about possibly adding scenes to the movie before it's actual release date in July. (He's done that before it was said.) He was telling her that every person in the film had scenes cut, including Pacino and DiCaprio and some people's only scenes were cut. Tim Roth, whose name is in the credits was not in the movie. In the credits after his name it says: (CUT). Actors scenes playing Burt Reynolds and Dean Martin were cut out. Tarantino said the first cut that his editors gave him was 4 hrs. 40 mins.

As for being the same version released now that was shown at Cannes, not quite. In that Anne Thompson article (right after the Cannes screening) quoting Tarantino saying everyone had scenes cut...he mentions one that he cut of Leonardo's in which he is in The Great Escape film. Well, that scene IS in the actual release. Whether anything else is different in it I don't know, but this might explain why reviews written right after the Cannes screening say the film runs 2 hrs. 19 mins. and reviews for the July release say it is 2 hrs. 21 mins.

I'm told Tarantino doesn't add deleted scenes and such to his media releases. Is that true? Personally, I'd like to see that 4 hr. and 20 min. cut, or at least what was cut out.