View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Horthos, thanks a ton for the great DTLA pics. I'm glad you posted those shots of One Bunker Hill, even though you couldn't go inside. The lobby justifies a detailed photo essay, there is so much to see.

And I enjoyed your photos of Clifton's, and understand the difficulty of those interior shots too. I tried one night, but my flash is just too small and I couldn't get anything worth sharing. I'm sure you would agree that like the Edison Building, probably even more so, it's very hard to do photographic justice to Clifton's. In fact, even the old daytime photos I've seen leave a lot to be desired. It's just very hard to capture the look, feel, and splendor in a photo.

The manager of Clifton's told me that they hope to have the cafeteria line operational by the end of the year, and then will revert to normal hours. Meanwhile, they'll be open on the night of every Art Walk. G_W recently asked whether they have made any progress toward restoring the original facade. Do you know, Horthos? If they succeed, that will really be something.

Also BTW, I recall coming across, somewhere, beautiful color images of an old Clifton's menu, but now to my great frustration cannot find them anywhere. Has anyone else seen these? They'd be a great addition to the old menus we've been posting.

The front still looks the same as it has for quite some time, the big hideous cheese grater thing is still there covering up the original facade. I walk by every day or two, so as soon as I see some form of progress, I will post pictures.

I am not sure if its been covered here or not, but the demolition of the wilshire grand hotel is going to happen soon, I heard late spring/early summer. As much as I dislike the building for its rather boring look, I still see no reason why they have to knock it down, its still a perfectly fine functional building, and there are plenty of parking lots that can be built on.

And if you have no idea what I am on about at all, they plan on building some big shiny thing. Thats the best way to describe it. Heres a link.

http://wilshiregrandredevelopment.com/

Apparently this will make LA more interesting, according to the suit dummies who do not live here and have no idea what interesting is.