View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Google Street View

Three blocks wide, running south from Slauson... alleys behind the lots, as indicated on Google maps... between Compton Ave and the Metro Blue Line.... I had to go look... and I'm wanting the taller gabled house at right to be the same one in the 1907 picture. The just-planted palms in that picture could be the soaring trees that line Miramonte today (the rows are much more intact behind the Google camera). This is Miramonte Blvd looking north from East 66th St.

I love the perennial hype of real estate ads... could you really see mountains from all the way down on 66th Street? And could you really get to downtown L.A. in 12 minutes?
Back in my college days, I had a classmate/friend who lived in this area, we met in one of my math classes. He would always refer to it as Huntington Park, but actually it's Florence, an unincorporated LA County community. He lived a street east of Miramonte, a street called Converse, in fact he lived north of the intersection of Converse and Florence. I had known him for a whole semester, and then one day he asked me for a ride to his house, he seemed embarrassed about where he lived; of course I gave him a ride home. I mean yeah, it's a working-class area, but I thought it was nothing to be ashamed about. Hehe in fact I thought the guy had NOTHING to be ashamed about---I had a big crush on him at the time.

But yes, 12 minutes to downtown can be done from this neighborhood, even today. It's very convenient to downtown. And on clear days, you really can see the mountains.

~ Charles Bukowski