View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:21 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I give the city tours (by bus) to some of the groups that arrive on the existing Great Lakes cruise ships. I usually meet the groups down at Iroquois Landing on the Calumet River, quite a slog, and quite a security hassle to get in and out of. But once last summer they had docked at Navy Pier. I never quite found out what circumstances allowed it that one time, but not for the other voyages.

I think there are three cruise lines currently (in a normal year) doing Great Lakes cruises, and Viking is coming.

Not sure what you mean by "North Pier." The north lock structure? Or Dime Pier?
I'm glad to hear about Viking - I was looking on google maps, and "North Pier" was listed for the thin east-west pier, just north of the Chicago Harbor locks and south of Polk Bros park at Navy Pier. I was initially confused as I worked in the old North Pier building many years ago, until I reversed and it assumed that the building was named after the pier.
My original point was about beefing up that same pier to allow for larger ships, which would cut out the need to do exactly what you described above, but I assume that the waters are perhaps not deep enough that close to the lakeshore (maybe I'm wrong).