View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's not, though. The whole idea of Penn South is idiotic. Gateway can and should be built with no additional platforms at Penn. Then Penn would have 4 tracks in, and 4 tracks out, which would be ideal if NJT could send more trains to Sunnyside to turn around. Who knows, maybe they might eventually figure out that it's way more efficient to run one train from New Jersey to Long Island instead of two trains that both terminate at Penn.

Instead of spending billions to acquire more Manhattan real estate for Penn South, use the money to extend the 7 to Secaucus and built a new bus terminal there.
I don't buy it that the extra tracks are not needed. There is a reason it was proposed. These people aren't idiots, they are pros working in top companies with high expertise. You have to show me the figures in detail, including all the other congestion/pax flow studies, platform crowding projections, etc, to back that up. otherwise it's all malarkey to me. I'll go with what the planners have told us we need for now...

Again, the 7 tunnel to sea cactus is the major waste of money. It's a train to nowhere. It forces people to get off and transfer in jersey and is only good for those working on the 7 line. Otherwise it's a 3 seat ride, ouch!! The terminal isn't going to go in jersey. People won't accept the two or three seat ride journey to their final destination and jersey doesn't want it as far as I can see. Few on the board favored it and most prolly know their folks across the Hudson would be up in arms at the mere suggestion. A far better use would be to build the gateway asap and link more jersey transit lines into penn station nonstop. Build the replacement on 9th and find a way to get people off busses and onto trains in the future. Busses are bad for the environment and a waste of time.

Nexus and myself were spot on. Build more rail lines in n the future in jersey, that's the solution to dealing with a potential overcapacity issue in any new bus terminal decades in the future. A massive area like urban jersey would be criss crossed with suburban trains if this were in Europe, etc. Haulin more and more bus riders into nyc everyday is not an environmentally sound long term solution.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 28, 2015 at 10:18 AM.