View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
If you go to the Wilshire Grand's lobby, you can see how dense Westlake/City West really is.

From downtown all the way out towards Western, there is a ton of 6-7 story residential buildings on the residential streets and they keep adding them at a crazy pace. I don't think most people outside of LA realize what's happening there.
It's not just dense because of "household size".
They are adding a lot (I follow Urbanize LA) but its not enough frankly. It would fantastic if they could make a serious dent in the housing issue. Literally the housing issue is the #1 issue in California. If the Bay Area continues to stifle growth, hopefully LA and Southern California will not do that, and set the example.

Rents starting at $2500+, "starting" is still alarming. More affordable housing is needed. The Thatcher Yard affordable housing development is a start, and more are needed.

Its good to see folks in the city council taking the aim at the issue, and local leaders, but the magnitude I hope is larger.

And its just not fair to put California in the spot light, because one thing U.S. cities for the most part fail at is building enough housing. For every boom, its scope is underwhelming in nature. We do a good job of building up certain neighborhoods, but always seem to fall short of adding enough units. If it be places like SF, LA, NYC (Even with the boom, not enough units), Miami, Seattle, and so on.