View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
Referring back to the photo of Robert Mitcham leaving jail - I wouldn't be too bothered about his short tie - it's more worrying that he is wearing a "ladies jacket" - or is the photo reversed ?

Bilbo
Regarding the short ties, if you notice, back then, men's pants had much higher waistlines, like their pants went well above their navels, so, a shorter tie would be in proportion to the higher waistlines on men's pants back then. It seems like it wasn't until the 1960s that men started wearing waistbands that came below their belly-buttons.

I've noticed in some modern films set in earlier decades of the 20th Century, that the costume designer has men's waistbands at the modern level, which kinda destroys the look.

Again, great posts, everyone! 3940dxer, those Rosslyn Hotel photos are awesome! I really like the Durand Drive pics too. And ethereal, it's funny that you'd post those Long Beach pics, I was gonna go there yesterday to do some scoping for then and now photos, but I was feeling under the weather (still am), so I didn't go (still debating to myself if I wanna make the trek down there today). Those are great pics of the Jergins Subway tunnel.

~ Charles Bukowski