View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
Thanks! I'm going with chair pads on those things.
Seems like a good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
Having just told you a few pages ago I didn't think my grandfather ever went to the USO when he was in town, I must say that sitting sailor does look a lot like him. I had to do a double take there at first.

having grown a mustache to try to look older (but still 17), 1945:
That IS a good resemblance! In the service at 17, I can't imagine.
I hope he was able to keep that smile and disposition later on!

USS Marias in 1945:

Commisioned by the Navy in 1944, so it was a new ship.

USS Marias (AO-57) was a Cimarron-class fleet oiler. She served her country primarily in the Pacific Ocean Theatre of Operations, and provided petroleum products where needed to combat ships. For performing this dangerous task, she was awarded eight battle stars during World War II.

After being in Philippine waters for 2 1/2 months, Marias next fueled the ships of the U.S. 5th Fleet as they bombarded Iwo Jima and conducted raids on the Japanese homeland. On February 24, 1945, five days after the landings at Iwo Jima, the tanker returned to Ulithi to prepare for the Okinawa campaign. She arrived at the fueling area off Okinawa March 16th, 1945, for the pre-invasion air and sea bombardment. For the next three months she serviced the ships engaged in the bitterly fought operation making fast runs to Ulithi for replenishment.

On July 3rd, 1945, the veteran tanker departed Ulithi for her last wartime operation. Nine days later she took up station in the fueling area east of Honshū fueling the fleet as it struck at the enemy's home islands delivering the final blows of the war. Following the signing of the surrender terms, Marias entered Tokyo Bay, remaining there, with the exception of a voyage to Ulithi for fuel, until departing for the United States on October 27, 1945. Marias arrived in San Pedro, California, November 10, 1945, underwent yard overhaul and departed again for the western Pacific, February 5, 1946.