View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 12:47 PM

E.C. Fisher's store on the west side of S. Main Street, north of Washington Boulevard, ca.1890

Looking west across Main Street of E.C. Fisher's store on the west side of S. Main Street, north of Washington Boulevard, ca.1890. The store, a long single story building, has an overhang that covers a walkway in front of the large glass windows. There are four men standing on this walkway, and there is a small amount of merchandise, including melons, wash tubs, and ropes, arranged in front as well. Legible signs include, from left to right, "Examiner sold here", "News Depot Stationery", "Tinware Hardware", "Staple & Fancy Groceries", "Produce Tea & Coffee", "Window glass Paintbrushes", "The Broad-Guage", "Ranch Eggs Wanted", and "Under we[ar] Notion[?]".

"Portrait of Fisher's Broad-Guage Department Store. There is a large hotel apartment building on this corner, The Rutland, owned by the Central and Broad-Guage Department. Store owned by E. C. Fisher, located on the west side of Main Street just north of the northwest corner of Washington--the corner occupied by Henry Coch's Saloon. On the southwest corner of Main and Washington was Dave Waldron's old Washington Gardens, later Luna Park. Opposite, on the northeast corner, was the Main Street and Agricultural Park Streetcar Horse Barns and on the southeast corner was Louis Martin's Saloon. The man on the right was one of my photographers, the boy in short-sleeves (I believe he is saying 'shirt-sleeves') is myself, the man on the steps--E.A. Butterfield, and the policeman is a Mr. Kemp" -- Signed, J. H. Crum 331 Palisades Avenue, Santa Monica, 1935

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960